Thursday, March 11, 2010

Clinic Activities

Clinic starts at 7:45 am everyday, except Friday and Sunday, which are the government "holidays." The morning is usually the most busy with patients scheduled between 8 am and 12 pm. Usually there's a tea break around 10 am--very civilized! Patients are scheduled in the afternoon from 1:30 until about 3:30 pm and we're finished with work by 4;30. Many days include other activities such as employer site visits, training activities or meetings with other departments.

During my 2nd week I gave a general CME (continuing medical education) talk on Occupational Exposures and Women's Reproductive Health. There was a reception before so I got to meet physicians from other departments (general medicine and OBGYN).








I've also been busy with a portable cholinesterase test kit I brought with me, which is good for testing people who work with pesticides to see if they have been over exposed to organophosphates. Normally, obtaining blood results from a lab can take a few weeks in Brunei--the test kit I brought can check blood cholinesterase levels in less than five minutes.

It just so happens there was a small outbreak of Dengue Fever in early March so the Ministry of Health decided to increase pesticide spraying throughout the country. Dr. Balalla arranged to have all the spraymen (and they are men) come to our clinic for testing. We're checking to see if the test kit I brought gives the same results as the blood we send off to the central lab. So far, I've tested about 25 workers.











The best part about bringing the kit with me was teaching the nursing staff how to use it. They are fantastic! I took a few pictures of them practicing on each other. They are quick, enthusiastic learners and I love working with them.







Below is a picture of the most the nursing and physician staff. As soon as I learn how to spell everyone's name I'll include them!

4 comments:

  1. I am sooo proud of you Rachel Caryn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel
    I'm loving reading your blog. Keep up the great descriptions and the pictures.
    janice camp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rae,
    I sent your blog address to Robin, you know, the one who started all this, hope you don't mind
    Anyway, great job.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice schedule...90 minute lunch breaks! you so rock with giving presentations and teaching!

    ReplyDelete