Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Little Brunei Culture

Last week the Brunei Ministry of Health held a free walkathon to create awareness about kidney disease. First, as I mentioned, the event was free. Bruneiens found it a little unbelievable that people in the US actually pay money to participate in such an event. They even gave out free workout towels! Secondly, the humidity was about 90% and no one wore shorts. And per custom in Brunei, most women had a on long sleeves and a head scarf. Pardon the quality of my video taping, but this is a snapshot of the warm-up before the 3.5K walk. I was pretty entertained.


After the walk I met a few Brunei health officials (Dr. Balalla is far left). There was also a special breakfast gathering with the Minister of Health (sort of like the US equivalent of the Secretary of Health and Human Services). I got to attend with Dr. Balalla (notice my sweat-drenched shirt) and have pictures taken with the minister (far right) and other officials. I was quite honored!


After the walk (and a shower) I spent the rest of the day in the capital city, Bandar Seri Begawan. I've included some photos of one of the older mosques, The Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin mosque - built in 1958, and the streets of Bandar.


The Brunei river boarders the city and is home to a large water village.

2 comments:

  1. That looked like fun! A few questions...I guess most Bruneians speak english? Also, I suppose they don't expect foreign women to dress more modestly like the locals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. silly Americans....always paying for stuff LOL you know I was wondering the same question asked by Stephanie but I read your whole blog and I kinda figured it out

    ReplyDelete