Monday, March 8, 2010

A few observations...

I've been in Brunei for one week and have a few observations to share.

First, the people here are truly gracious and kind. Before coming I read that even though this is a conservative Muslim country, they are extremely tolerant of others--I find this to be true. I'm obviously not from here, but everyone I meet is interested to know where I'm from, why I'm visiting Brunei and if I like rice (Really, I don't know why they ask that). People are even polite in traffic.

Second, this is an easy place to live--especially if you're a permanent resident. In that case, your housing is heavily subsidized (my attending pays only $150 per month), health care is free and food is cheap. Plus, the roads are impeccable and the public schools are very good. I have not seen one homeless person and I'm told they are rare. And the country is free of malaria and many other infectious diseases common in SE Asia. How do they do this? Well, oil money helps, I'm sure. Plus I wonder if these are the trade offs for some personal freedoms. For example, if you want to move to Brunei you cannot have HIV, hepatitis or TB. They will know because you will be tested. If you want a job, you'll need to be drug tested. That's just how it is.

Third, women are not as "oppressed" as one would think (having to board last on Royal Brunei Airlines aside). There are more female doctors in Brunei than male doctors. All the country's ministry heads (i.e. the Ministry of Health) are women. It's true women don't really venture out on their own here, but they do receive a lot of support from family and community.

Finally, one would think that a country so close to Indonesia would have amazing coffee. Not true. I've been drinking Instant Nescafe since I arrived. I REALLY miss Seattle coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent news, glad you are adapting
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had such delicious coffee since you've been gone! LOL Starbucks introduced a new flavor: dark cherry mocha. I was apprehensive but I tried a sample as a frap and it was quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete